If The Lord Had Not Been On Our Side
Read Psalm Chapter 124
Ps 124:1 If the LORD had not been on our side—let Israel say— 2 if the LORD had not been on our side when men attacked us, 3 when their anger flared against us, they would have swallowed us alive; 4 the flood would have engulfed us, the torrent would have swept over us, 5 the raging waters would have swept us away.
The Psalmist possessed an awareness of just how much God’s hand upon Israel had made a difference in their fate. He completely knew that every blessing his nation had received was because God had chosen them to be His nation, His people. As he pondered that truth, he began to think of what might have happened to Israel if God had not been on their side.
Today’s devotional is going to get personal. This devotional is not one which can be written by anyone but yourself. Each of us can complete the statement, “If the Lord had not been on MY side,…………………………..” I will give a few examples from my life, but only for the purpose of helping you develop your own list. The items on my list are not the focus today. The important list is the one you will make. I would encourage you to memorialize your own list in writing and save it to look over every so often. As you review it from time to time, there will be things that need be added.
- I would not have sought God, ever. It was His Spirit which drew me to Him, and gave me the desire to know Him.
- I would not have survived a very difficult childhood!
- I would not have been aware that my same-sex attractions were something which needed to be dealt with. I would have believed them to be of no detriment to my well-being.
- I would have been sexually active at a time in history when HIV was spreading but as yet unknown. I would have contracted this virus at a time when there were no medicines available to treat it and prolong life. More than likely I would have died of AIDS.
- I would never have married and never raised two sons who love the Lord, both of whom serve Him faithfully.
- IF I had lived a gay life, as I looked back at the end of my life, I would have seen that there had been no value, no purpose for my living. My legacy would have been a useless life, wasted on things which destroy and have no eternal value.
Not every SSA man thinks about this. We are much more prone to overlook what God has done for us. This lesson should help us to understand how blessed we are, despite the burdensome SSA obstacle which has appeared in our lives.
Please prepare your own list. Let God show you how He has made a difference in your life. As you do, thank Him for every step He has led you. Thank Him not only for what He has done, but also for what He is going to do in the future. He has been active in your life from the first moment you were conceived. Actually, longer than that. He knew you when He created the earth and the heavens. And He will continue His watch-care over you for all eternity.
Prayer: Fill the minds of every SSA man with knowledge of Your hand in their lives. Show them how You have directed their lives in such a way that was for their benefit. Forgive us when we have doubted Your love. Thank You for what You have done for us.